Efrem Korngold is one of the leading traditional Chinese medicine teachers and practitioners in America. He is co-author of the widely read Between Heaven and Earth: A Guide to Chinese Medicine as well as many articles. He began his studies at the College of Traditional Acupuncture in England in 1972 and studied herbal medicine at Kunming Traditional Chinese Medicine Research Institute and Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shu Guang Hospital.
|Triple Burner: Central Mechanism of Development||immediately after purchase||for 2 years|
The Yin/Yang-Five Phase paradigm is, at its core, a description of human development from the embryonic stage to adulthood. Within this paradigm, the San Jiao (Triple Burner) emerges as the central mechanism that organizes and guides growth and development. Using this model helps us understand the trajectory of both healthy development and how distorted patterns manifest as illness in childhood. Illustrative case examples will demonstrate a practical, systematic methodology for evaluating a child and formulating an effective treatment strategy.
|Essentials of Chinese Medicine Pediatrics||immediately after purchase||for 2 years|
This course has two learning focuses: diagnostic and therapeutic tools for integrating pediatrics into clinical practice, and how ontology informs pathology. It integrates both Western and Chinese medicine perspectives on childhood illnesses and condition to provide a practical, systematic approach to diagnosis and treatment. It aims to educate practitioners in preventing and treating physical distress as well as aims to improve confidence to work with children of all ages and to spread the joy of pediatrics.
- Introduction – Growing the Dao: Working with Children reveals the Developmental Process of health and illness
- The Three Axes of Development: maturation, adaptation, coordination
- The San Jiao principle
- The Five Phases
- The Five phase- the developmental path in childhood
- Identifying Child typology: The Baby Videos case examples of clinical application
- Mapping cases : History and examination considerations of children at different ages:
- Lower burner (jing): GROWING THE PERSONAL BEING
- Where do we come from and how do we take root in the world:
- What does Embryology have to teach us? (eight extras and the TB)
- Supporting the Base: birth and early childhood
- Patterns of Sleep – Eating – Pooping
- Congenital (jing) Disorders : Case discussions
- The Middle burner- GROWING THE SOCIAL BEING
- Acquiring Qi: Food as information and Food as medicine in the growing child
- Managing digestive disorders in children: Managing Colic - an example of Basic principles
- Managing cases of: Failure to thrive, reflux, diarrhea, celiac disease, Inflammatory bowel disease
- The Upper burner- GROWING THE SPIRITUAL BEING expanding consciousness, insight, self-determination, imagination
- The heart and lung and skin
- Managing Respiratory problems in children. Colds, Coughs and Croups,
- Developmental and neurologic conditions in childhood
- Managing Seizures
- Managing ADHD
|Treating Inflammation in Children Part One, Asthma and Eczema||immediately after purchase||for 2 years|
Inflammatory lung and skin conditions are among the most common conditions that challenge the adaptive capacity of children. There has been an epidemic rise in inflammatory disorders that began after World War II. The accelerated pace of modern life generates a condition of excess Heat in the organism and in the world. In Western terms, this is a result of sympathetic overdrive—excess secretion of cortisol and adrenalin—that sets the stage for chronic inflammation.
- Learn to identify common pediatric presentations of reactive inflammation affecting physiological and Qi functions, channels and Organ Networks associated with the lungs, skin, gut and vagus neural network (parasympathetic nervous system)
- Recognize and understand the underlying process of a healthy inflammatory response – euflammation - from Western and Chinese medicine perspectives.
- The role of the Triple Burner (san jiao) in the functional mediation of inflammation.
- The dynamic interaction of the Three Axes of development: the adaptive and maturation triads
- The five phase dynamics that characterize five common patterns of inflammation in the lungs and skin
- Learn to map a case using the principle of Five Phase Triads.
- Using Five Phase Triad mapping, learn to formulate treatment protocols, including acupuncture, herbal formulas and nutritional supplements.
- The Triple Burner system is the Developmental FU, an “invisible” organ that governs the neuro-gastro-endocrine-immune complex and the Western physiological integration with the gut microbiome and the parasympathetic/ poly-vagal nervous system.
- The example of wei/ying qi as a microcosm of yin/yang harmonics.
- The critical influence of environment on the process of growth and the etiology of illness
- The role of inflammation in both health and sickness
- Case illustration
- The phenomenon of pediatric asthma in America: Western medical explanations
- Current “standards of practice” for treating RAD (reactive airway disease) and “red flags” – when emergency intervention is necessary
- Classification, etiology and clinical presentations of asthma in the context of the integrated Triple Burner - Five Phase model: the Five Triads of asthma
- Case illustration
- The nature and significance of the skin (couli)
- How the skin is a reflection (microcosm) of the Triple Burner
- Triple Burner - Five Phase Triads redux: classification and treatment of pediatric eczema according to the integrated model of the Triple Burner and Five Phases.
- How are asthmas and eczemas are connected and how do they interact with each other?
- Case illustration
- How to “map a case” in order to generate a working diagnosis and treatment strategy: additional case illustrations
- Q&A: discussion of cases presented by participants