This comprehensive presentation covers everything from the biomedical dynamics of Breast Cancer initiation and development to the Chinese Medicine treatments that can be enormously beneficial during and after medical treatment. It is designed to be comprehensible and beneficial to those with any level of knowledge of Breast Cancer. It is appropriate and valuable to those in any and all of the various traditions in Asian medicine (all styles of Acupuncture, with or without herbal training). The focus is to provide clarity to the topics that have the most practical relevance in providing care.
Amy has specialized in treating patients with Breast Cancer since 2002. She is considered an expert in this field, and is a frequently requested lecturer at nationwide Breast Cancer events. In this course she has put together the full spectrum of the things you need to know to professionally work with Cancer patients. The focus of the information is specific to Breast Cancer, but much of it applies to other areas within Oncology.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be better able to:
- Introduction of all topics and flow of course; Legal, Ethics, Malpractice Considerations; What OM can do; Communication; Integration; Biomedical Mechanisms; Types; What Cancer patients experience.
- Timing of them coming in; Most frequent complaints; diagnosis; biopsy; Lymph nodes; Margins; Size; Grading; Pathology; Staging; Metastasis; Treatment: Surgery, Reconstruction
- Radiation; Hair Loss; High Risk populations and Genetics; Research
- Integrating OM with Oncology; Referral; Information Gathering, including Denial; Treating; What Not to Do
- Main OM Patterns, Methods to Treat (Acupuncture, Herbs, Diet and Supplements): Anxiety, Issues Prior to Surgery, Issues Post Surgery, Surgical Pain; Scars; During Chemotherapy
- Oncotype; Methods to Treat (Acupuncture, Herbs, Diet and Supplements): During Radiation; Hair Growing in; Fatigue; Disturbed Sleep; Neuropathy; Low Appetite; Hot Flashes; Weight Gain
- "Long Term", After all treatment is concluded: Bone, Estrogen, Cruciferous Family, Inflammation, Anti Proliferative herbs, Family Dynamics, End of Life, Hospice
- Integrative Oncology, Abrams and Weil
- Definitive Guide to Cancer, Alschuler and Gazella
- Integrating Conventional and Chinese Medicine in Cancer Care, Lahans
- Attendance at dozens of Allopathic conferences on Breast Cancer
- 12 years direct work with medical oncologists specializing in Breast Oncology
- Seminars at the Society for Integrative Oncology
Amy J. Sear, A.P, Dipl. O.M. (NCCAOM) is an experienced speaker, and is valued for her organized, practical, and information filled presentations. She earned a Bachelor degree from Cornell University and completed her Oriental Medicine education from the Acupressure Acupuncture Institute in Miami, FL., where she received awards for outstanding achievement in academics and clinical practice. She teaches at two schools of OM in Florida, has been a CEU provider since 2000, and has been a guest lecturer at many national conferences. Amy served as President of the Florida State Oriental Medical Association (FSOMA) from 2004 to 2010.
Amy has worked in true Integrative fashion, side by side with noted Breast Oncologists, since 2002, and practices at the Breast Cancer Center(s) of Memorial Cancer Institute in Hollywood and Pembroke Pines, FL. She has a strong background in both Ethics and Safety and brings her years of respected teaching experience to this topic to provide clarity, accuracy and simplicity.